Garfield Neurobehavioral Center
1451 28th Avenue
Oakland, California 94601
About Garfield Neurobehavioral Center
Garfield Neurobehavioral Center is a Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) providing medical, nursing and rehabilitative services to individuals who have a neurobehavioral illness as well as a mental illness. We are one of the few facilities in California that accepts people with this combination of disorders. Garfield primarily serves adults between the ages of 18-64 who have disruptive neurobehavioral disorders including:
- Head injury and brain trauma resulting from accidents and gunshot wounds
- Cerebral tumors and infectious disease abscesses
- Cerebrovascular disorders including subdural hematoma and stroke (CVA)
- Specific dementias including HIV dementia, vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Nutritional and toxic degenerative disorders associated with drug use and alcoholism
- Neurological and psychiatric disorders requiring a secure environment with structured services
- Progressive neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, Parkinson’s and Huntington’s
Just the Basics
Population Served: Conserved adults ages 18-64 who have neurobehavioral illnesses along with chronic mental illness
Funded by: Medi-Cal and contracted California counties
This program follows Telecare’s Recovery-Centered Clinical System (RCCS), an innovative recovery framework that incorporates the latest research and evidence-based practices. RCCS emphasizes doing no harm and supporting and enlivening recovery. The recovery model incorporates such approaches as motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), harm reduction, and other consumer-centered therapeutic interventions.
Services and Supports
All services are person-centered with the goal of enhancing an individual’s safety, health and quality of life. Services include, but are not limited to:
- Interdisciplinary treatment planning
- Neuropsychological assessment
- Medical evaluation and treatment
- Psychiatric medication administration, evaluation and treatment
- Psychosocial assessments
- Symptom management skills training
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Activity therapy
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- On-call crisis services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Residents are referred through contracted counties in California. We accept referrals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through our main number at 510-261-9191.
Who Is Served
Adult residents of contracted counties throughout California who require 24-hour medical, nursing and rehabilitative services. Our residents meet the following criteria:
- They are conserved
- They have a primary neurological diagnosis with a co-occurring mental illness
- They have Medi-Cal coverage
Contacting A Family Member
The involvement of family members is a very important aspect of recovery. Garfield Neurobehavioral Center recognizes the central importance of families to the members we serve, as well as the challenges and pressures they face in supporting a loved one. We strive to provide support in strengthening our member's family relationships and extended support systems.
Per HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) guidelines, staff members cannot release any client information without a signed authorization.
What Makes Us Different
At Garfield Neurobehavioral, we have a blend of medical and psychiatric expertise to strengthen our focus on whole person care. Our staff includes a neuropsychologist, a psychiatrist and a physician who collectively treat the patients together in an interdisciplinary way to address medical and psychological issues together. To maintain a safe environment with minimal restraint use, every staff member in the Garfield Neurobehavioral Center attends a two-day Pro-Act training to learn behavioral de-escalation practices.
Garfield Neurobehavioral Center meets a unique need in Alameda County as well as for our other contracted counties. We accept and conserve individuals who have difficult-to-manage behavior disorders for whom lower levels of care are not appropriate. We are able to fill the expertise gap between psychiatric and medical settings.
Telecare is a family- and employee-owned company that has been treating individuals with serious mental illness since 1965. We specialize in innovative, outcomes-driven services for high-risk individuals with complex needs. Our programs are recovery-focused and clinically effective and are designed in partnership with local, county, state and other behavioral health organizations.