900 Fulton Avenue, Suite 205
Sacramento, California 95825
About Telecare SOAR
Sacramento Outreach Adult Recovery (SOAR) serves the needs of individuals with persistent, serious mental illness who have the ability to live more independently and avoid long-term hospitalization.
Using the research-proven Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) model, SOAR is a nationally-accredited program that provides intensive support services for up to 150 clients, 18 years of age or older. SOAR clients are individuals who have previously had long, expensive stays in a locked state Institution for Mental Disease (IMD)-or face that possibility-but who are ready to begin the transition to community-based care.
Just the Basics
Population Served: Adults ages 18-59 with serious mental illness
Funded by: Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) through the County of Sacramento Department of Behavioral Health Services
Building on traditional ACT standards, Telecare has created a recovery-centered experience for people served. Telecare’s approach is based on a belief that recovery can happen. Programs and staff strive to create an environment where a person can choose to recover.
By connecting to each individual’s core self and trusting it to guide the way, it is possible to awaken the desire to embark on the
ACT programs use multidisciplinary teams that include psychiatrists, nurses, masters-level clinical staff, and personal service coordinators. Some staff may be consumers who are in recovery themselves.
Services and Supports
Our services include, but are not limited to:
- 24/7 capacity for crisis support
- Comprehensive psychiatric assessment and treatment
- Outreach and engagement
- Group services, crisis intervention, case management, employment services, and housing support
- Money management education
- Medication support and education
- Vocational and educational services
- Benefits establishment
- Co-occurring disorders treatment
- Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Weekends: hours vary
- On-call staff available 24/7
All referrals to the programs are coordinated directly by the County of Sacramento Department of Behavioral Health Services.
Must be a resident of Sacramento County, age 18 or older, diagnosed with a severe mental illness, and have a history of frequent psychiatric hospitalizations, a co-occurring substance abuse issue, and/or a history of being homeless .
Contacting A Family Member
Members are encouraged to sign a release of information so that family members can be a part of their treatment.
What Makes Us Different
Telecare SOAR was the first Telecare program and the first site west of the Mississippi to fully implement the CommonGround program developed by Patricia Deegan.
This program is the first comprehensive, computer-based recovery support system for use by the client, psychiatrist, and staff to achieve the personal goals of the client with regard to medications and other recovery resources. This system has been in place at SOAR since April 2011 and we continue to work with Pat Deegan Associates to broaden the scope and impact of this resource in our recovery community.
SOAR also has a fully developed, high level of fidelity DBT program directed by trained therapists offering structured levels of involvement, groups, individual therapy, and specific criteria for participation and completion.
SOAR members receive formal recognition and are honored at celebratory "graduation" events for completing organized DBT training and Sac-Port life skills groups.
All of Telecare's ACT and Residential programs have received a three-year accreditation by CARF, the Rehabilitation Accreditation Commission. Telecare also received exemplary conformance to CARF standards in four areas:
- Recovery model approach that is client-centered: This process utilizes the integrated collection of a single set of data that supports the client's process of recovery and supports innovative treatment interventions.
- Cultural competence and diversity program: Providing culturally competent services that go beyond being equal and nondiscriminatory to include a concept of responsive servicess matched to the persons served and their needs.
- Inclusion of clients in the interviewing and hiring process for new employees: Telecare clients often sit on Hiring Advisory Committees and participate in the candidate selection process. Telecare also hires former consumers as staff members.
- Excellent communications department: This department develops and produces materials that express and support the values of the organization, and assist employees in utilizing the organization's communication tools.
Telecare is a family- and employee-owned company that has been treating individuals with serious mental illness since 1965. We specialize in innovative, outcomes-driven services for high-risk individuals with complex needs. Our programs are recovery-focused and clinically effective and are designed in partnership with local, county, state and other behavioral health organizations.