LA IMD Step Down
4335 Atlantic Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90807
Telecare's IMD Step Down program in Long Beach, CA offers additional justice-involved mental health services through the Los Angeles AB 109 program.
About LA IMD Step Down
Telecare's LA Step Down program is funded by the Mental Health Services Assertive Community Treatment (ACT), County General Funds, and AB109 (Assembly Bill 109) Safety Realignment. We provide culturally competent intensive mental health services to adults with serious mental illness discharging from Institutions for Mental Diseases (IMD) and other locked facilities such as state hospitals, acute psychiatric units, sub-acute hospitals, urgent care centers, jails and prisons.
- 100% of services are conducted in the community where members live and reside.
- Incorporates two specialized ACT teams, each focusing on the unique and specific needs of our member population.
The Step-Down program also serves clients who are mentally incompetent to stand trial (MIST).
- The program provides defendants direct linkage from the Los Angeles County Mental Health Court/Department 95 to receive treatment in Telecare's Step-Down program.
- For clients who are out of custody, the mental health court clinician goes into the community to see the clients and works with them on competency training and making sure they are linked mental health services.
Just the Basics
Population Served: Residents of Los Angeles County, California, ages 18+
Funded By: Mental Health Services Act (MHSA), County General Funds, and AB109 Safety Realignment
The Telecare LA Step Down Program uses a multi-disciplinary team, which includes psychiatrists, nurses, clinical directors, team leads, personal service coordinators, and substance abuse specialists. Our goal is to promote independence by emphasizing the integration of recovery principles through a total team approach. Our members receive daily groups and individual support both where they live and in the community. The purpose of our efforts is to assist members in effectively transitioning from locked placement to independent living within a lower level of care.
Services at LA Step Down include, but are not limited to:
- Providing a safe and supportive environment for all members
- Availability of staff to respond to member needs 24/7
- Crisis intervention services
- Individualized mental health services
- Case management
- Group rehabilitation
- Medication support and education
- Family reunification services
- Psycho-educational services
- Financial education and support
- Co-Occurring disorders services
- Benefit establishment
- Capitalizing on individual’s strengths
- Monday - Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 24/7 on-call availability
- Staff are generally in the community during office hours. Please call ahead: 562-216-4900
Funded by the Mental Health Services Assertive Community Treatment (ACT), County General Funds, and AB109 (Assembly Bill 109) Safety Realignment
Who We Serve
- Must be at least age 18
- Resident of Los Angeles County
- Must have a primary Axis I DSM V psychiatric diagnosis
MHSA and CGF:
- Having a long history of repeated psychiatric hospitalizations
- Risk of discontinuing treatment without additional supervision
- Impaired ability to provide for basic living necessities without intensive support
- Risk for involvement with law enforcement due to mental health condition
- Individuals who have been released from prison/jail under AB 109
Assisted Outpatient Treatment:
- Have a history of lack of participation in a mental health program that have resulted in 2+ hospitalizations or incarcerations within the last 36 months, or attempted to cause harm in the last 48 months
- Behaviors that are likely to result in harm to self or others
- Cannot be a registered sex offender
- Cannot have arson history
Contacting A Family Member
Family members can contact individuals at LA Step Down by calling the main number at 562-216-4900.
Per the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines, staff members cannot release any client information without a signed authorization.
Family members are also welcome to contact the program director.
Telecare is a family- and employee-owned company that has been treating individuals with serious mental illness since 1965. We specialize in innovative, outcomes-driven services for high-risk individuals with complex needs. Our programs are recovery-focused and clinically effective and are designed in partnership with local, county, state and other behavioral health organizations.